Friday, August 6, 2010

Pilgrim’s Progress: Kula Shaker

I’m a big listener of Kula Shaker, my College songs when I’m in the middle of Panic are Govinda and Tattva the chanting makes my mind more at ease and both are somehow taken from the Sanskrit. Their melody is like a psychedelic trip and the funky songs like Hush, Hey Dude, smart dog and Grateful when you’re dead (Jerry was there) would surely send me dancing in my room. The songs like Namami Nanda-Nandana, Dr Kitty, Machine Gun, and others where they used a lot of nature sounds like chipping of the bird, cat moaning and other traditional Indian Instruments and remix that will surely bring you to stillness and leave your mind clear. The song “Shower your love” is my love blues, it’s my pleading song hehehe.

Now I ‘m digging their new album Pilgrim’s progress although I’m still trying to dissect the album I’ve notice a lot of changes in their music. The carrier track Peter Pan R.I.P. is more like a melancholic theatrical sound and the use of various instrument such as snare and violin shun them away from their Indian inspired trademark but will still recognized Kula Shaker because of the melodic voice of Crispian Mills not to mention the catchy instrumental tempo, still noticeable. Ophelia is one of my favorite mainly because the lyrics is really good and it sound relaxing but I do get a countrish vibes in that single, for me it sounds more like an old English song with bag pipe and everything. But the lyrical presentation is superb their songs as always are poetic. Another song that I want to put emphasis on is the song “Modern Blues” the song started with some Indian woman chanting and a creepy laugh somewhat like an evil witch. At first I was “WTF! Here we go this is what I’ve been waiting for” and then the Lyrics ~ *Somebody spare this whole twisted philosophy I’m searching for meaning in a world of mediocrity, I can’t move for preachers, I can’t find no teachers. Think I’m gonna stay in bed…wasted my whole life working for fools~~, I got blood on my fingers and stones in my shoes* BINGO! And there I found myself shaking my buns like in the 60’s show wooohoo! Hehehe^^

Kula Shaker has matured in their sound and I like it. Their trademark, drum roll accompanied by Crisp bass slide (there is something about the bass melody, I can’t help but notice. Almost the same in all of their songs) and wah riff all together is still… yeah, so much there. I wonder how long will they stay in my playlist since their old albums are still on queue.

Quotes:

Ophelia~ Doubt the stars are on fire, Doubt Truth to be a liar but never doubt I love you....till the day I die” “You were tired of this shadow life. Of fears that hold us tight I will lie beside the river now...”

Peter Pan RIP~ Peter Pan, Don’t look back. They clipped your wings and chained your back”

Calvary~ We can’t turn back, we’re under attack, outnumbered too I believe. Cut down, surrounded, all bust up and pounded, love send the cavalry.”

Modern Blues~ Somebody spare this whole twisted philosophy I’m searching for meaning in a world of mediocrity, I can’t move for preachers, I can’t find no teachers. Think I’m gonna stay in bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...

Blog Archive