Saturday, September 4, 2010

A What?! What Trilogy? Mamasan Trilogy!

I’m a 90’s kid, I grew up during the grunge era *and it’s my preference I was never really the disco fanatic*; I think most of the kids during those times are the most successful adults now. Those who grew up listening to some disturbed, emotionally tainted, rebellious and political songs of the 90s.

Nothing really fancy today except that I started my day listening to Pearl Jam’s Better Man and suddenly remembered the Eddie Vedder’s “Mamasan Trilogy”. I remember during my high school days listening to the 3 songs under that so called “trilogy” and trying to figure out why and how it can be related to that “mini –opera” and since I was still young then and I lack in experience my understanding is quite shallow literally basing it on the words but not looking at the big picture or the essence of the context, but now listening to it again I get a different perspective and POV as compared 15 years ago.

Mamasan trilogy is a product of Vedder’s brilliant mind, although some claimed that the Trilogy was not true but I think the mini opera is quite scary and tragic. Just to give some idea about the Trilogy it’s a story about a boy grew up believing that his father was his real father and his confusion about his mother’s love and because everything has been too complicated he grew up a wrong man and made mistake that would put end to his life… something like that...better check this link to understand more. Here<--------(credit to the link owner)

Some of the Lines from the Trilogy

Alive~ Chapter I

"Son," she said, "have I got a little story for you
What you thought was your daddy was nothin' but
While you were sitting home alone at age thirteen
Your real daddy was dyin', sorry you didn't
See him but I'm glad we talked"
Oh, I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey, I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey, I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey, oh-oh
While she walks slowly across a young man's room
She said, "I'm ready for you"
I can't remember anythin' to this very day
'Cept the look, the look, oh
You know where, now I can't see, I just stare

"Is somethin' wrong?" she said
Well, of course there is
"You're still alive," she said
Oh and do I deserve to be?
Is that the question?
And if so, if so
Who answers?
Who answers?

Once~ Chapter II

I admit it, what's to say? Yeah
I'll relive it without pain, mmm
Back street lover on the side of the road
I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode
I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes
I play
Once
Upon a time
I could control myself
Ooh, once
Upon a time
I could lose myself
Yeah
Oh, try and mimic what's insane, eh
I am in it, where do I stand? Uh
Indian summer and I hate the heat
I got a back street lover on the passenger seat
I got my hand in my pocket, so determined, discreet
I pray
Yeah ,

You think I got my eyes closed but I've been lookin' at you the whole f*cking time

Footsteps~ Chater III

Don't even think about reachin' me
I won't be home
Don't even think about stoppin' by
Don't think of me at all
I did, what I had to do
If there was a reason, it was you...
Don't even think about gettin' inside
Voices in my head, voices
I got scratches, all over my arms
One for each day, since I fell apart
I did, what I had to do
If there was a reason, it was you...
Footsteps in the hall, it was you, you
Pictures on my chest, it was you
It was you...
I did, what I had to do
And if there was a reason
Oh, there wasn't no reason, no
And if, there's something you'd like to do
Just let me continue, to blame you


***the photo is totally unrelated to the post. Mmmmm just a preview to my next post ^^. ~~~Totally Random!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...

Blog Archive